Translate

Monday, May 28, 2012

New World

Sitting here at 22.30 (10:30) with a glass of Tempernillo from Chile that was 2.98 euros and manchego  (also ~ 3 euros) with crackers and some plantains with olive oil and garlic. Believe it or not, the olive oil is the most expensive part of my meal (9 euros for the bottle). The Spanish give a lot of ducks about their olive oil (not a type-o, I seriously mean ducks, quack-quack). After that parenthetical remark, you probably think I have had a glass too many, but I actually haven't had a drink since noonish, and I'm waiting for my wine to open up, so I haven't had any! I'm just soooo exhausted.

I have so much to tell. This day has been INSANE. I need to hurry before my friends in the program come over to our apartment any minute. We're going to talk and drink wine then go to one of the local clubs.

Last night, we went to a strand of bars on the street they call la Latina. We went and had some sangria and such at two bars, but our group was so large (compared to the bars there & because they were busy) that we ended up going back to la Plaza Meyor and drinking some sangria in the square and people watching. It was a tame night, and we woke up for more orientation then basically wondered the city until 4:30- then moved into our new homes!!!!!

Many- a MANY faux pas occurred today.  You wouldn't believe. I heard in orientation at A&M that I would make mistakes and embarrass myself, and they were SOOOO RIGHT. Alina and I laughed a lot, but we also looked like morons.

FOR THE PHONE. If you come to Spain, don't second guess, don't have a phone in mind. I don't know; at least, that's what I found. Get something cheap (29 euros or under) that has 9 cents a minute or less - this is for local calls I'm talking. I went to 3 different phone stores, waited in line with a number for a LONG time, and they didn't even end up having the cheapest phone in stock meaning I would have had to buy a legit, 50 euros or more phone just for making local calls. I ended up buying a happy movil sim card - 20 euros - which includes 15 euros worth of minutes already. It's only 6 cents a minute for local calls, and if you come to get an international phone, get the international option and it's only 3 CENTS PER MINUTE INTERNATIONAL. Unfortunately you can't get both options on one sim card, but that's pretty legitimate.

We went to this amazing market, which will be featured on the video soon. We got oysters and a glass of white wine, which was delicious!!!

Okay, so the best part. We moved in today!!!! I love my roommates. Alina & Josh are the absolute best and easiest to live with. We went apartment shopping for the basics. Just to let you know, Alina speaks fluent Russian & German!!! It's crazy. I've been telling everyone. She yelled at me this morning in the hotel while asleep in Russian, and I thought she was cussing me out in her sleep, but she actually just accidentally asked what time it was in Russian.

Our apartment is surreal!!!!! We got it kind of far away from Puerta del Sol and everything because JOSH had to have A/C!!!! Hahahaha just kidding, it's grand, but the place is AMAZING. SO SAFE. We have an elevator, key to get in the building & in the room & an extra safe bolt for when we go out. There's a security guard on a bike that goes between our building and the one beside us (good space in between, like 200 meters), and a guard stand that can see the street and the entrance to our building.
The neighborhood is BEAUTIFUL. The metro is so close. A super market and restaurants are within a 5 minute walk. The botanical gardens, Museo del Prado, and amazing Parque de Retiro are within walking distance. --yes I Oxford comma--
It will be in the next video.

We each have our own bedrooom, 2 bathrooms, a washer ( you dry EVERYTHING on close pins), a kitchen, a living room! And we're on the 8th floor and have amazing views!!!

I have so much to tell, but I have to go because we have to ring our friends up, but I'll tell more & some great embarrassing moments hopefully tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment